Sunday 19 June 2011

Slideluck Potshow London and La Maison Fontaine Absinthe


I love dispensing absinthe and dispelling the myths, particularly at art events. So, I was really looking forward to going along to the annual London Slideluck Potshow. Although I hadn't heard of it before, I liked the idea of the mix of Food, Photography, Art and now Absinthe, that it offered.

The website describes perfectly what it's all about:

"Slideluck Potshow (SLPS) is a 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to building and strengthening community through food and art. SLPS operates multimedia slideshows combined with potluck dinners in about forty cities around the world. For each event, artists submit up to five minutes worth of images and guests bring along delicious food to share. The evening begins with a couple hours of mingling and dining on home-cooked dishes, and then the lights are dimmed, the crowd is hushed, and a spectacular slideshow commences."


The food that people brought along was amazing. I don't normally eat whilst on duty but it was just too irresistible! The crowd was really great too, just the right sort of Bohemian to appreciate the finer delights of Absinthe, coupled with the Art of course.



This was still fairly early on, as food got eaten more people turned up with more food, genius! I'm not sure why this communal eating doesn't happen more often....


Here's Casey Kelbaugh introducing this year's slide show. He hosted the very first Slideluck Potshow back in 2000 in his seattle backyard to about 50 friends! From acorns eh? In the foreground is Maria Teresa Salvati, the brains behind the London gig.

This is the packed house, just before the slide show starts. Naturally I sat down to watch too, everyone was glued to the screen throughout! I have to confess to thinking the slides were all going to be about food, der! In fact, many of them were highly political, emotive, shocking, disturbing and some were even funny - but all were superbly done!. The slides for this year's London show are not up on the website yet or else I would have shared a few favourites.

On the whole, I came away thinking if I ever complain about life being a bit tough again - I'll deserve a very hard slap!

I think I heard a rumour that London may now be holding 2 events a year.... I hope that means another this year, if so I'll be back to dispense more Absinthe and hopefully see you there!

Please visit the website to find out more about Slideluck Potshow

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jenny! We are already talking about the next one, so will keep you posted! :-)
    MT

    ReplyDelete